Stars Classic

Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Take a Message to Mary - The Everly Brothers/Chet Atkins/The Flying Burrito Brothers

   
Take a Message to Mary
These are the words of  a frontier lad
Who lost his love when he turned bad

Take a message to Mary
But don't tell her where I am
Take a message to Mary
But don't tell her I'm in jail

You can tell her I had to see the world
Or tell her that my ship set sail
You can say, she'd better not wait for me
But don't tell her I'm in jail, don't tell her I'm in jail

Take a message to Mary
But don't tell her what I've done
Please don't mention the stage coach
And the shot from a careless gun

You can tell her I had to change my plans
And cancel out the wedding day
But please don't mention my lonely cell
Where I'm gonna pine away until my dying day

Take a message to Mary
But don't tell her all you know
My hearts's achin' for Mary
Lord knows I miss her so

Just tell her I went to Timbukto
Tell her I'm searchin' for gold
You can say she'd better find someone new
To cherish and to hold, oh, lord, this cell is cold

Mary, Mary, oh, lord, this cell is cold

No comments: