Stars Classic

Thursday, July 7, 2011

So Long, Marianne - Leonard Cohen and Friends/Brian Hyland

  
So Long, Marianne
Come over to the window, my little darling, 
I'd like to try to read your palm
I used to think I was some kind of Gypsy boy 
Before I let you take me home
Now so long, Marianne, it's time that we began 
To laugh and cry and cry and laugh about it all again

Well, you know that I love to live with you, 
But you make me forget so very much
I forget to pray for the angels 
And then the angels forget to pray for us
Now so long, Marianne, it's time that we began

We met when we were almost young 
Deep in the green lilac park
You held on to me like I was a crucifix, 
As we went kneeling through the dark

Oh, so long, Marianne, it's time that we began 
Your letters, they all say that you're beside me now.
Then why do I feel alone
I'm standing on a ledge and your fine spider web 
Is fastening my ankle to a stone
Now so long, Marianne, it's time that we began 

For now, I need your hidden love
I'm cold as a new razor blade. 
You left when I told you I was curious, 
I never said that I was brave
Oh, so long, Marianne, it's time that we began 

Oh, you are really such a pretty one
I see you've gone and changed your name again. 
And just when I climbed this whole mountainside, 
To wash my eyelids in the rain
Oh, so long, Marianne, it's time that we began