Stars Classic

Sunday, May 6, 2012

Me and My Uncle - John Phillips/Joni Mitchell/Dino Valente/The Grateful Dead/John Denver/Mike Wilhelm

Me and My Uncle
Me and my uncle went ridin' down
From Colorado, west Texas bound
We sorta stopped off in Santa Fe
It being a part, boys, about half way.
Besides it was the hottest part of the day.

We led our ponies into a stall.
Went to a bar, boys, bought drinks for all.
Two days in the saddle, my body hurt,
It being summer, took off my shirt,
And tried to wash off some of that dusty dirt.

West Texas cowboys all over town,
With gold and silver, they're loaded down.
Just in from a round-up
And it seemed a shame
So my uncle starts a friendly game
High-low jack, and the winner take the game.

From the beginning uncle starts to win.
Them, Texas cowboys, they're mad as sin.
Some say "He's cheatin'"
Ah, but that can't be, because my uncle, he's as honest as me.
And I'm about honest as a Denver man can be

One of them, cowboys, he starts to draw.
I grabbed a bottle, slapped him on the jaw.
I shot another, he won't grow old
In the confusion, uncle grabbed the gold.
We hightailed it out for Mexico,

Now God bless horses
And God bless gold
God bless my uncle, and rest his soul
He taught me well, boys
He taught me all I know
Taught me so well, boys, that I grabbed the gold
And left him lying there by the side of the road.

No comments: